Monday, 17 June 2013

book review statistics in d3

My experiments with the charting language d3 continue.  Now that I can happily import csv files, I decided to have a go at visualising some data about the various book reviews on my website.

First, I charted the cumulative number of reviews, of the fiction, SF, and non-fiction books:

I was surprised at the total number of reviews, as I 'd never seen this all in one place before. And I was also surprised at the relatively steady rate of reading demonstrated.

I wrote a little python script to extract the figures from the database into a csv file.  I discovered that a few weeks of writing JavaScript seems to have over-written a large chunk of python syntax in my brain...

I also had a go at viewing the data according to date of publication, of acquisition, and of review.  I'm still playing around with those views, working out what they can show.  More experimentation is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment