Thursday 13 April 2023

Julian Francis Miller Award

I have been enjoying the various EvoStar sessions, but I don't have a publication this year.  The reason I am here is for the Julian Francis Miller Award.

Julian was a renowned evolutionary computation scientist, the inventor of Cartesian Genetic Programming, evolution in materio, many clever acronyms, and a regular presence at EvoStar.  He was also a colleague and friend.  Sadly, he died last year.  My co-editor and I wrote an obituary for the Artificial Life journal, and many of his colleagues contributed moving anecdotes and tributes to the SIGEVO newsletter.

Julian Miller, 1955-2022

SPECIES (the Society for the Promotion of Evolutionary Computation in Europe and its Surroundings) inaugurated an annual award in honour of Julian.  This year, it was my honour to receive it.  I have travelled to Brno to be presented with the award, and to give a talk.  

The talk I gave this morning was titled Beyond Reservoir Computing: metamaterials and meta-dynamics, about ideas that I am currently working on that have grown out of work Julian and I did together.  I like to think that Julian would have found these ideas interesting. 



No comments:

Post a Comment