Monday 17 August 2015

never email a password

I’ve just registered with a new grant management system.  They wanted a password, obviously, and clearly wanted a strong one, because they required a minimum length, and a mix of characters from different classes.  They went one further, and also wanted an answer to a memorable questions.  So far, so good.  (Well, apart from one of the options being mother’s maiden name.  Not exactly secret in this day and age.  But I use a password manager, so I can easily provide a random answer without worrying about losing it.)

They emailed me confirmation of my registration.

The email contained my login id.  And my password, in the clear.

screenshot of email, modified
Sigh.

[while looking for an interesting and relevant link to add in here, I found this beautiful page.]

For all my social networking posts, see my Google+ page

No comments:

Post a Comment