Monday 14 December 2020

the eyes of the tiger

Back several decades ago, Esso had a TV ad with the most breathtaking pictures of tigers, including a fantastic final shot.

I was desperate for a copy of that pic, so actually wrote to Esso.  They were kind enough to send me a poster (I think they had many requests!), but it was the wrong picture.  It was a poster titled “The Cat’s Whiskers”, and was a lovely picture of a tiger, but wasn’t that picture.

The Cats Whiskers

Then yesterday we were watching an episode of Neil Brand’s short TV series on the music of TV; the episode was about adverts.  AND THERE IT WAS...

screen shot

That expression!  Those eyes!  “Look on my Face, ye Puny, and despair.”

I did a Google image search, which matched a few eBay sites that only led through to “The Cat’s Whiskers”.  So this fuzzy screenshot is the best I’ve got for now.  But still better than I had. 


3 comments:

  1. This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxjajNv68CM seems a bit less blurry, but still not great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one's better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCKez5_-360. It claims 1080p, but the original video it was made from was clearly worse than that.

      Delete
    2. Ooh, lovely -- thanks for the pointers to the ads.

      Delete