Saturday 22 October 2022

an old town

Although it is a Saturday, we had a full schedule of talks, timetabled 9am to 7:40pm, then a poster session after dinner!

After getting a full night’s sleep, I have been feeling a lot more alert today.  Apart from when some boiler or fridge rattles for a few minutes, my room is utterly silent: thick stone walls and essentially no traffic contribute to this.

On the way up to breakfast in a different building, I took this photo of the corridor out of the building where my room is:

gorgeous

My room is just around the corner from the main conference venue, which has this magnificent entrance:


The streets are all paved with this form of cobbling.  After hundreds of years of wear, it is somewhat slippery.  That’s not a problem on level surfaces, but most streets in Erice slope dramatically.


This is the street up to the breakfast room, and tonight’s poster session; many streets are much steeper than this.  I picked my way up it carefully, to have a look at the posters, then picked my way back down again even more carefully.

An extremely full day, of wonderful talks and posters.  Off for another good night’s sleep, to get ready for more sessions tomorrow (yes, on Sunday!)



No comments:

Post a Comment