Sunday, 23 August 2026

view from a Montreal hotel window

The conference finished yesterday.  However, rather than going straight home, I am going to visit a colleague at Sherbrooke University.  When I check with him whether he would be around, he said "yes, and it's only a 9 hour drive from Waterloo!"  Interesting use of the word "only", there.

It would have been reasonable to fly from Toronto to Montreal, with a connecting bus trip at either end, but I decided to take the train instead (still needing two bus trips), and to split the journey over two days.

Today was Waterloo to Montreal: a one and a half hour bus trip, and then a five and a half hour train trip.  Well, first a 20 minute taxi ride from the hotel to the bus pickup point, in an enormous mall.  The ticket said the pickup point was "North of Ye's Sushi restaurant".  I found Ye's Sushi restaurant, and worked out which direction was north.  There was a local bus terminal there, but no sign for my long distance bus company.  I loitered.  A little while after the schedule arrival time, a bus appeared, and stopped to the west of Ye's Sushi restaurant.  I scuttled over, checked it was the right bus, got my luggage loaded, and got on.

Close to arrival, I got to see the Toronto CN tower out the bus window.

View from the bus window: my restricted view meant I didn't get the very top, and got a bit of window reflection, too. 

We arrived on time in central Toronto, and the stop there was very close to the train station.  I went in, checked the train was on time, then sat and had a coffee until it arrived.  The trip was very smooth, and a lot more pictaresque than a flight would have been.

View from the train window: Lake Ontario

I'd booked a hotel close to the rail station and Sherbrooke bus departure point, for convenience tomorrow.

View from the hotel window

Now off for a bit of a walk, after all that sitting, and then to find something to eat.



No comments:

Post a Comment