Monday, 24 August 2026

view from a Sherbrooke hotel window

What is it with the covert bus stops for long distance buses in Canada?  This time, I needed to find the bus to Sherbrooke.  The ticket told me the address of the bus stop: 800, de la Gauchetière Ouest.  800 is the number of the building, which takes up an entire block.  I wandered back and forth a bit, then eventually saw a guy wearing a jacket with the bus logo.  He pointed me to where the bus would arrive.

It arrived, a mass of people piled on, and I settled myself down for the two and a half hour trip.  We stopped a coule of times to pick people up, basically in the middle of nowhere.  How did they find their stops?  

Eventually we arrived in Sherbrooke.  Google told me it was a 12 minute walk to the hotel, "mostly flat".  It should know better. Here's its own street view.

Google streetview: flat, maybe; level, less so

I should have looked in more detail...
Anyway, I hauled my wheely suitcase up the hill, pausing only once for a short rest, and got to the hotel.  


view from my hotel window. of a military museum undergoing refurbishment
The hotel has rather peculiar decor.
A seat in the reception area: note the black floor and ceiling.  The light slowly changes colour...
As well as a dark reception, the lift interior is black, with such dim lighting that I couldn't read the instructions to scan my room casd.  The room is also decorated in black: ceiling, walls, carpet.  And two of the lights aren't working...

It was still afternoon so I decided to go for a walk, to get some light.  I found a lovely path along a lake and river.

I walked along it for a while, then walked back.  The path had lots of walkers, joggers and cyclists, as well as a group of black leather-clad elderly gentemen zooming along on mobility scooters.

On the way back I found a great artisnal food hall. I bought a third of a fresh baguette, some wonderful soft cheese, and a maple syrup tart, for a picnic supper back in my goth-themed hotel room.

Off to meet meet my collegue at the University tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment